Last Sunday, my friends and I went crazy over cassava and experimented on two cassava recipes: Okoy Cassava and Cassava Cake.
Okoy Cassava Ingredients:
1 kilo Cassava (3-4 pcs medium sized cassava), peeled and grated
1 green papaya (small size), peeled and cut into strips
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlice, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup Vegetable/Canola Oil
1. Combine cassava, papaya, onion and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside for 30 mins – 1 hour to allow ingredients to mix.
2. Beat eggs and fold into mixture.
3. Heat pan and oil.
4. Create small patties and deep fry into oil until golden brown.
5. Serve with chili-vinegar on the sides.
Cassava Cake Ingredients:
1 ½ kilo Cassava (5-6 pcs medium sized cassava), peeled and grated
2 cups coconut milk
1 can evaporated filled milk
1 can condensed milk
½ kilo brown sugar
½ cup margarine/butter
1. Dissolve sugar in coconut milk. Add condensed milk and evaporated filled milk.
2. Add grated cassava to the mixture. Mix well.
3. Using Chefel pan, fill ¾ of the pan with the cassava batter.
4. Let it steam for about 15 minutes. Flip pan and add butter on top.
5. Cook again for another 15 minutes. Flip pan again and add butter.
We weren’t able to get actual photos of the whole activity because we got busy cooking and checking on the cake. It ended up well and everyone enjoyed the meal. Next time, we will try making homemade churros and cassava patties.